About The Academy
The Health Management Academy (The Academy) is made up of a network of executives from the nation’s largest integrated health systems and the most innovative health services companies striving to shape the future of healthcare. Since 1998, The Academy has convened executive peer groups, provided leadership development programs, and conducted strategic market research & policy analysis to enhance health system effectiveness and inform strategy. Members leverage The Academy’s network and resources to gain national perspective on best-practices that improve care and facilitate industry transformation.
The Academy, pursuant to a recent partnership with a private equity firm, is positioned for growth and seeking a Controller.
The Controller, in partnership with The Academy’s CFO, has overall responsibility for accounting management, budgeting, financial reporting, ongoing development and monitoring of control systems, and regulatory compliance for the organization.
The Controller is a member of the management team, reports directly to CFO, and manages the accounting staff. The Controller works closely with all Academy staff, Academy leadership, and external partners. The individual in this position customarily and regularly exercises discretionary authority, independent judgment, and strong individual accountability.
- Direct the day to day management of Academy’s accounting function
- Ensure the timely and accurate reporting of financial data, in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and provide that information regularly to the CFO and other stakeholders as required
- Implement Sales Incentive Comp plans and process commissions payments timely and consistent with Comp Plans’ guidelines
- Provide routine guidance and budget reports to managers to gain an understanding of major variances and provide direction
- Provide oversight of bank accounts, and credit card accounts including monthly review of reconciliation of these accounts
- Provide ongoing review of cash management
- Maintain the general ledger and manage the monthly closing process in a timely manner including journal entries
- Assist in the annual budget process (preparation, monitoring and forecasting) including compiling information from teams and the establishment and implementation of short- and long-range financial goals and objectives of The Academy
- Work in coordination with Human Resources to manage Academy’s employee benefits administration
- Provide supervision over the Accounting Manager, occasional outside temporary consultants, seasonal interns
- Collaborate with staff to develop and implement sound accounting and financial systems, processes, and policies designed toforward Academy’s strategic objectives; review and ensure that the organization’s policies and procedures are being followed
- Performs other job duties, as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of the principles of finance and accounting
- Ability to make independent decisions with little oversight
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with diverse groups, including interacting effectively with staff at all levels of The Academy and related external stakeholders
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain credibility with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently to achieve high performance in position
- Ability to work effectively within teams
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated strong individual accountability
- Customer service orientation, for both internal and external customers
- Strong presentation skills with ability to explain technical accounting and finance topics to non-technical audiences
- Excellent computer and software skills (Microsoft Office and accounting packages)
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Enterprise is a plus
- Detail orientation; high degree of accuracy in all aspects of work
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance field and minimum of 6-10 years directly related full-time work experience
- Supervisory experience required
- CPA required
The Academy recruits, rewards, and retains employees by leading the local labor market in total compensation, providing opportunities for employees to advance and develop their careers as a result of the fast-paced, high-growth, nature of our company. We are proud to offer a benefit package including comprehensive health benefits; a company matched 401(k); flexible benefits for dependent care, unreimbursed health care, and commuter expenses and paid time off program. In addition, eligible employees receive company paid: parking, life insurance, short-term disability, wellness program, and access to an on-site fitness facility.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Holly Metz, Staff Consultant, via email at: email@example.com. To learn more about The Health Management Academy, please visit www.academynet.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.