About The Academy
systems and the most innovative health services companies striving to shape the future of healthcare. Since 1998, The Academy has convened executive peer groups, provided leadership development programs, and conducted strategic market research & policy analysis to enhance health system effectiveness and inform strategy. Members leverage The Academy’s network and resources to gain national perspective on best-practices that improve care and facilitate industry transformation.
The Academy offers a dynamic atmosphere with significant growth potential for employees. If you are interested contributing to a member-centric, creative, and collaborative workforce while deeply influencing the most significant institutions in healthcare, The Academy is the right place for you.
Summary of The Academy's Office of Strategic Partnerships
Accelerating financial and regulatory pressures, digitization of clinical data, scientific advances, and new technology are disrupting Top-100 health systems. In response, health systems are pursuing a strategy of transformation or reinvention that encompasses both the clinical and operating enterprises. Health systems are concluding that it is not efficient or practical to undertake transformation alone —collaboration and partnerships will lead to more accelerated success.
The Academy is excited to present a unique opportunity to bring together 8-12 like-minded, non-competitive health systems to establish the Strategic Partnership Alliance (“SPA”). These large health systems are committed to identifying and forming successful partnerships that build scale, drive revenue and accelerate the use of innovation. The Academy will leverage its thought leadership, peer network, resources, and experts to guide health systems and support a collaborative environment through a multi-phased approach that would involve deep-dive assessments of the participating members to define business opportunities and the implementation of selected project(s) to accelerate and measure partnership value. These may ultimately take the form of joint ventures, spin-outs, commercialization of IP or existing capabilities, or co-investments in independent companies (or some combination of the above).
The SPA will be led by an Academy senior executive and executed by an Academy team (Office of Strategic Partnerships, or “OSP”) organized into 2-3 consulting teams. These teams will assess potential opportunities, catalogue existing investments and joint ventures by the member systems and prepare use cases or business plans for the most promising opportunities. Once SPA system members are committed to pursuing an idea, the OSP team will support the execution of these initiatives, as well as report on the progress and ROI to the SPA.
The Managing Partner in the Office of Strategic Partnerships is a critical role a new division of the Health Management Academy. The Strategic Partnership Alliance is an Academy program serving a dozen top 100 health systems which will evaluate new ventures that its participants wish to commercialize, diligence partnership opportunities, and create an investment marketplace.
The OSP will manage a portfolio of workstreams. Some will be pre-launch and the OSP will focus on validating IP, benchmarking performance across the cohort to create value assessment, conducting market analysis to hone packaging concepts, testing problem runs, creating a workplan for incubation and launch and an investment thesis for partnership and/or seed capital. Some will be nascent but funded ventures and the OSP will focus on building a go-to market plan, through market analysis, testing packaging and pricing, creating a detailed proforma and workplan for commercialization, and presenting the thesis for investment or partnership for the group. The OSP will also tackle longer term transformational opportunities to solve evergreen problems best addressed by economies of scale.
The ideal candidate is highly organized, a self-starter, adept at market research and financial analysis and eager to take on new challenges. Experienced professionals with fifteen to twenty years of substantive work experience in a health care, private equity, venture capital, or management consulting.
- Manage multiple diligence workstreams evaluating health system spinoff ventures
- Lead a team to deliver an ambitious slate of partnership projects on behalf of members, including the following activities:
- Conduct market testing interviews leveraging the Academy’s network of executives from the leading health systems
- Conduct target market segmentation analysis, competitive landscape research and product packaging research
- Validate ROI of venture concept by conducting benchmarking studies with members and manage clean-room data environment
- Create ROI models
- Formulate go-to market plans
- Create member-facing analysis to report back on findings
- Create proforma for venture launch
- Develop investment thesis for investment arms of health system members
- Create business launch budget and plans
- Incubate de novo transformational partnerships that would be seeded by an ownership group of health systems to tackle some of the industry’s evergreen issues (similar to the Project Rx work that occurred with an overlapping group of participating health systems)
- Manage the partnership discussions and negotiations to lead to the appropriate, research-driven conclusion
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA is preferred
- 15-20 years of substantive work experience in health care, management consulting, private equity or venture capital
- Experience incubating new products, ventures or companies
- Investment track record
- Operational experience in entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated skills in researching and analyzing healthcare issues, including an ability to synthesize and summarize large amounts of information and to focus quickly on the essence of an issue
- Creative, strategic thinker with excellent analytic and critical thinking skills
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills, including ability to drafting of interview guides, execute studies, and produce syntheses of key findings
- Articulate – written and oral - and professional; excellent customer and client service skills
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work independently and in a collaborative work environment
- Ability to travel as required (perhaps > 50% of the time)
The Academy recruits, rewards, and retains employees by leading the local labor market in total compensation, providing opportunities for employees to advance and develop their careers as a result of the fast-paced, high-growth, nature of our company. We are proud to offer a benefit package including comprehensive health benefits; a company matched Simple IRA; flexible benefits for dependent care, unreimbursed health care, and commuter expenses and paid time off program. In addition, eligible employees receive company paid: parking, life insurance, short-term disability, wellness program, and access to an on-site fitness facility.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Holly Metz, Staff Consultant, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.